Once upon a time, during the cool fall days of 2018…
Having just started learning the unique language of Esperanto, I must say…. I am virtually impressed. Compared to my months of learning Spanish…. Esperanto is proving to be much simpler.
Screenshot taken from a Spanish lesson at Clozemaster. One of my nudges to explore Esperanto more closely.
Since starting Esperanto, I have dropped the above mentioned Clozemaster language learning site for Spanish. It served its purpose. I am now focusing on two languages at Duolingo. Spanish and Esperanto.
Initially, when I added Esperanto to my agenda, I chose to continue learning both languages at the same time. I have since discovered it to be beneficial to not add new Spanish words right now. But rather to ‘practice’ the Spanish I have already learned and to study Esperanto as a strong ‘second’ language.
Five traits I have discovered about Esperanto
1. Esperanto is starting out as VERY simple to learn.
2. The rules are simple and few so far, such as:
- Each letter has a unique and separate sound
- The emphasis in every word is ALWAYS on the next to the last syllable
3. Phonetically speaking, the words I have learned are pronounced the way they are spelled.
- There are 28 letters to the Esperanto alphabet. It uses all the English letters except Q, W, X and Y. A few letters have accent marks.
- The name of each consonant IS the sound THAT letter makes, followed by an -o
- The name of each vowel IS the sound THAT letter makes
4. The prefix mal- means ‘the opposite of’. Unlike some other languages, mal- by itself, doesn’t mean ‘bad’.
5. There is no “a” or “an”
UPDATE: Spring 2019
I have left Duolingo.com after feeling I was not learning what I needed to know. I no longer recommend Duolingo as a serious learning platform.
In all actuality, my language learning “drive” began about a year ago. To be perfectly honest, as winter blossomed into spring this year, I put all language learning on pause. Not because I lost interest and I will come back to it, but life is about to ”change” for me. Right now, I need to focus on other life ventures that have been in the makings for over a decade! They are about to ‘birth’ into fruition and this needs my full attention; like a new born baby. Just so you know, the time is soon coming, to put my blogging on pause. Then, when I return, I will be a new me and you will be a new you and we can start all a new. Who knew?
NOTE – To those who are interested in learning Esperanto, I have discovered a site which offers a personal email correspondence course FREE of charge. Let me know you are interested and I will get you the information.
Thanks for being here,
Learn more about Esperanto : A language to unite humanity
Special Offers in the menu is not just about product….check it out often, content is always changing.